Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankful

I have had a really tough week. I have had so many highs and lows I am starting to feel like I am on a roller coaster. I have been elated and bitter and happy and angry and hopeful and hopeless. Mostly though I think I have been more angry than anything and it has reflected onto the way I have dealt with my kids. This morning, I was listening to Josh Groban's Christmas CD and on it there is a song called Thankful. As I listened to it, I thought of my family; my husband and my kids. I decided that even though I may be hurting right now, I need to focus on my those few things I am thankful for. I need to keep thinking positive even when I feel alone. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but it makes sense to me. I can't really put into words what I learned in the duration of this song, but It really helped me in the time i needed it most.
Thankful
Somedays we forget
To look around us
Somedays we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.
Look beyond ourselves
There's so much sorrow
It's way too late to say
I'll cry tomorrow
Each of us must find our truth
It's so long overdue
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And every day we hope for
What we still can't see
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.
Even with our differences
There is a place we're all connected
Each of us can find each other's light
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see
It's up to us to be the change
And even though this world needs so much more
There's so much to be thankful for

7 comments:

tonksfam said...

Isn't music powerful? Especially when sung by Josh Groban for some reason ;) It's funny...you'd expect the Spirit to whisper to us through hymns or something, but I've found my "musical promptings" often come through more contemporary means. Once when I was very lonely and very tired of things the song "Lean On Me" wouldn't leave my head, and I realized it was in answer to my unsaid prayer for a friend. I'm glad you're listening to good music, even if life is hard :)

Renee' P said...

I am glad that this song is helping you. You are going through a lot right now and music is a wonderful tool to help us get through the tough times. Keep smiling. It will be okay!
I love you!

Nicole Stenzel said...

I am glad you are feeling a little better honey. Makes my heart hurt when you are hurting so much. I love you and hope that you are doing better!!!!

Uberly Ewe said...

I am sorry that you are going through some tough times. I hope that things get better. Thinking of you.

Kalia said...

Those words are powerful, I'm not sure if I've heard the song before, but has a great message. I hope you feel better and life gets better for you. Love, Kalia

Unknown said...

Hey Mary...sorry your having a tough week. It will get better. Its nice to read your stuff and get to know you a bit more each time. :)

aliciaP said...

hey there cuz. how are you? your little ones are getting sooooo big, and they are so adorable! stay in touch!
PS- you are sooo talented i am jelouse.
~alicia