lazy people with self esteem/value/respect issues, who have given up on themselves, fashion and style that live in over sized t-shirts, sweatpants, black leggings, or think pajama pants are appropriate "going out" attire. Most recently brought to our attention on Oprah, the schlumpadinka is, in most urban centers, an epidemic. For example: The woman in front of you at the gas station/coffee shop/ family restaurant line wearing an outdated windbreaker, some grungy, saggy sweatpants, usually with an outdated hairstyle that is unkempt. Looks like she was probably doing some housecleaning, or perhaps painting her living room. Alas, this is her everyday attire. You speculate, that perhaps she is homeless, or at least low-income. Unfortunately, she's just lazy and doesn't care about her appearance.
I think I would probably fit this description. I was watching Oprah and she had Lloyd Boston, a style expert on. He was giving makeovers and also gave some GREAT advice on fashion. One list he made was 10 staples every woman should have in her closet...I thought I would share them with all of you:
(As advised by style expert Lloyd Boston)
1. A nice bright trench coat. Lloyd said that you should invest in a good trench coat. It's nice to use year-round...many layers or little layers...
2. A black turtle neck. Every woman should have one because you can always dress it up or down and it always hides imperfections in the neck and chin area.
3. Black Trouser. If you have a thinner leg, buy straight leg pants....for larger thighs(like me), buy a wide leg trouser....it hides the "bulk"
4. A nice tunic. Mr. Boston said that it is a classic piece that you can throw on before a party and seem like you are the best dressed.
5. A good white jean. Same rules apply here as they do for black trousers.
6. Dark Jeans. Jeans fade over time..to keep the dark longer, wash them inside out.
7. A Black dress. Every woman needs a black dress...I like how Mr. Boston put it....not everyone looks good in a "little" black dress...buy one that flatters you.
8. A denim jacket. A nice flattering one....give away the one you bought in the 80's. Try a nice white or a dark.
9. A good black skirt. This can be used for a multitude of occasions.
10. Cashmere sweater. Not as expensive as you may think.
Lloyd also advised that women should have flats and a big handbag.
P.S. a rule of thumb with shoes...if you don't think you can wear it with anything, you can wear it with everything.....like lepord print or bright colors.
LETS GO SHOPPING!!!